Saturday, April 19, 2008

Your Birth-day

Dear Sonia,

Today is going to be the day (we think)! Your mom, my only sister, went into the hospital last night at 10 to be induced into labor. You were due on Thursday and you weren't looking like you were coming on your own, so the doctors and the hospital and your medical-world parents are taking matters into their own hands. That and the doctor your mom really likes is the one on call today who will deliver you, which is a good thing.

Your grandparents, my parents, arrived in Texas on Thursday from Boston. Your other grandparents live just around the corner, making it easy to have everyone there with you when you arrive.

Right now, it's a little after 10 a.m. in Texas and my mom (your Nana) just called me to tell me that your mom told her that there's still nothing. You aren't making a peep. You are just curled up in your nice warm happy swimming house refusing to come out. And this after months and months of kicking around like a madwoman. You've been moving and grooving and kicking and dancing all over your poor little mom. Three weeks ago, when I came to visit, you were moving so much that I could watch your little hands and legs right through your mom's shirt. Far cry from Christmas, when I had to put my hand on her belly and lay there waiting for you to do something cool.

Your mom just called me! You are so lucky to have been born in a time when cell phones exist and people can stay in touch even when they are in the maternity ward. Apparently, the contractions are getting a little stronger and the nurse is commenting on how sound of a sleeper you are. (This to compensate for dancing around so much when you are awake, I think.) Here's hoping that you sleep as soundly after you arrive.

Your Uncle S., Auntie K, and I are going to be together tonight, out hearing someone's sister's band. I love that all three of your maternal aunts and uncle will be together on the day you are born.

A spring birthday! The best time of the year (here in Boston, anyway). Things are growing, little flowers are popping up all over the place, fresh life, gorgeous sun, and new green! You'll get that every year for your birthday (although, I'm not clear on how that works in TX, but we'll see.)

Well, little girl. I already love you and you aren't even here yet. Best of luck coming out! It's an great world out here. You'll dig it, I think. There's some bad stuff, and some painful stuff now and again, but mostly, it's a big place ready to be explored and lived in and enjoyed. We'll do a lot of that together. See you soon!

Love,

Auntie K

No comments: