Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bowling, the Library and Talking about My Bike Ride

Dear Sonia,

I just got back to Massachusetts after visiting you in Houston for 5 days. We had a great time! You are super sweet and super smart and super loving. You are swimming well, and singing to the baby to wake her up in-utero.

Here we are wearing our matching pajamas:





















And here we are bowling! We had such a good time! Your ball was yellow and we walked it up and you opened up your legs and then we rolled it down the alley until it knocked down the pins! You had a very good time. Your mommy won, even though every time she threw the ball, it hurt her big pregnant tummy.



On the first day, I showed you photos of my bike ride in Maine so you would eat. I saw lots of animals on that trip and you were happy to see all the photos. And, I had photos of alpacas I saw and I had given you a little alpaca from Peru so it worked out well. Anyway, for the next 4 days, every time you said "I want to talk about something" and I said "What do you want to talk about?" you said "Talk about your bike ride." And then we talked about all the animals I saw. You could list them, tell me how many of each one I saw and what color they were. The only one you didn't ever remember/learn was cormorant, which was fine, because I could never remember the name of the dinosaur bird you know that it looks like. (I just looked it up and it's a Pteranodon.) We drove your mom nuts because I could never remember pteranodon and you could never remember cormorant. I gotta tell you, I got a little bored of my bike ride - although you never did.

And here we are on the merry-go-round at the mall. I can't remember the name of the mall, even though you can recite the entire name like it's nothing. You rode the ostrich the first time and the second time, while we were in line, you set your sites on the zebra. When we got to it, another kid was already on it. Without any fuss at all, you just happily got on the bunny instead. Such a good girl who just rolls with whatever.



We really had a great visit, friend. I called you "friend" a lot when I was there and you thought it was very funny. You also taught me that you call Rudy your "buddy" which is super cute. "Where is my buddy?" You took me to music class, which was awesome and you sang some of the songs. You LOVE Miss Anna, your music class teacher.

Your daddy is awesome with your bath time (and he puts on a good picture show in your upstairs living room, too!). Your mommy is ready for the baby to be here. Your cousins came over for a swim and you had a great time with them. You are a master napper even though you claim you don't want to go to bed; you sleep for 2+ hours every afternoon. You made a pile of books that we picked out at the library and then said "That is plenty!" Someone at the library said "Hello, Sonia!" and you looked and said "Miss Missy!" and gave her a big hug. You listen well, and remember well and generally are very smart.

If someone called me as a reference for you and asked me for your biggest weakness, it would be easy. You are a terrible eater. I hope you learn to enjoy food more!

You drove me to the airport on Tuesday morning before you went to meet your teachers. When I asked you the night before where we were going in the morning, you said you didn't know. "Yes you do," I said. Where is Auntie K going tomorrow? "Massachusetts" said you. "How am I getting there?" "Airplane." "Where's the airplane?" "Airport!" Yup. Good deduction. So you dropped me off and away I flew.

I'll see you again in January after your baby sister is here! In the meantime, there's the phone and Skype. I love you a wicked lot, Sonia-ita. (I tried to teach you wicked, too, but it didn't stick.)

Love,

Auntie K

No comments: